Volunteers make our school great – contributing directly to Second Street School feeling like a community. Parent volunteers play an essential role in organizing and executing school events, raising funds and facilitating connections.
To help everyone see what opportunities exist, we have a “job jar” which acts as a gathering place for all the opportunities for involvement and tasks that need to get done. This list includes one off, short commitments as well as long term opportunities and will be continually updated – so keep coming back to it.
To give you an idea of what will come up in the job jar, here are some date specific opportunities
(see the volunteer calendar for this years’ dates https://secondstreet.burnabyschools.ca/calendar/)
- Social and Community Events– be part of supporting community events like the Welcome BBQ, Breakfast with Santa, Evening of Cultural Celebration and Halloween Fireworks. We need volunteers to help coordinate, to shop in advance and/or to help at the event.
- Concession– adding fun to our events and an important fundraiser. To have concessions run smoothly, we need volunteers to do coordination and shopping in advance, as well as volunteers to run the concession sales & cooking.
- Popcorn Sales– one morning a month (9-10:30am), we use volunteers to pop & bag popcorn
- Pizza Days– every few months from 11:00-12:00, join our volunteers to help sort the pizza order
- Freezie Sales– once the weather gets warm, we move from popcorn to freezies. Every few weeks in May and June, join our volunteers in the afternoon (2-3pm) to prepare the orders and hand out freezies.
- CPAC executive – at our May AGM we elect the executive for the following year. Find role details and the current executive (and vacancies) here:
If you are interested in volunteering some time to help out in any of the capacities listed above, or if you are interested in sharing your gifts/talents with the Second Street community in another way, please contact Gayle Beavil, our Community School Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to our CPAC executive: email@example.com